Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Resolution: Be the Best You in 2012!

Happy Prosperous, Peaceful, and Magical 2012 to you!  Every year I say this, but I can't believe it's already 2012!  The time really flies with each passing year, especially now that I have children.  This past year has brought about a lot of changes in my life and has been one of many ups, some downs, and lots of growing.  I have always been a New Year's Resolution kind of person and this year is no exception.  I've learned a lot about goal setting that has really hit home for me and as I reflect and make decisions about my goals for the upcoming year, I feel empowered and determined to make 2012 the BEST year yet!!!

How Will Your Success Story Unfold in 2012? 

You've all heard it before,  the only person you really have control over is yourself.  You can try to control or manipulate someone else's behavior, and other's can try to control you, but in the end, you have to take 100% responsiblity for your own life.  You own the energy you bring into the room (thank you Oprah!) and you have the choice to change your attitude, your thinking, your appearance, your surroundings, your company, and your way of life if you aren't happy with where you're at and where you're heading.   Taking 100% responsibility for your own life can be a little daunting though, especially when you start to realize you might be standing in the way of your own success.

What????  Standing in the way of my own success?  But who would do such a thing?

Recognize the Barriers You Put Up for Yourself!

We all have a story that we live, that we tell ourselves, and that we tell other people.  Sometimes our story contains things that hurt rather than help.  Do you have any old wounds that keep you from doing everything you can to live your dreams?  Are you ever afraid that you won't be good enough, you're not smart enough, you're not strong enough, you can't afford it, nobody believes you can do it, etc.?  Do you find yourself repeating some of the same problems that you've been having FOR - EVER and realize there's got to be more to life than this? 

If so, this is good!  It might not seem like it right now, but recognizing any of these things in yourself is the first step in moving in the direction of change.  Of making it better.  Of creating the life of your dreams!  But...if you want to create the life of your dreams STOP telling yourself and others these things that are not true!!!

I've come to realize that my biggest barrier at the moment is that I believe I don't have enough time to do all the things I want to do.  If I spend all the time I need to caring for, teaching, and playing with my children, taking care of the house, completing all my errands and chores like shopping, cooking, cleaning, laundry, being a good wife, daughter, and friend, and working out, I don't have much time left for my many aspirations and entrepreneurial goals.  But really, this way of thinking is all wrong, and not serving me well at all!

The truth is, that everyday that I write, I'm taking steps toward my dreams of becoming an author.  Everyday that I study self help practices and then put them into action, I am making progress toward my own goals and the goals I have for helping others!  I have chosen to stay home with my children and make "Mommy" my most dominant role at this time.  That is what I've always wanted.  I was the little girl who played house and school all the time, so it's no wonder I grew up wanting to be a teacher and a mom above everything else.  I need to embrace this while it's here because the time does fly and my babies are growing up!  Allison will start kindergarten in the fall, so my time of having two children at home all day is limited.  I have to focus on what I really want the most, which for me is being Mom, and know that the other things will come in time as long as I continuously take steps towards reaching my other goals.  Not every goal is achieved immediately.  In fact most aren't.  Some happen quicker than others.  In life we have to choose to enjoy the journey, to enjoy all the steps along the way.  We can have it all, but not all at the same time!  I really am so grateful and appreciate that somehow, someway we have been able to continue with this lifestyle.  I absolutely love being home with my children all day and appreciate all that they teach me about life!  I wouldn't trade any of it for anything. 

                                         My Little Ladies!


Life is not about getting "there."  You ARE there!  You are here, in life, right now!  When I remember that I really am living my dreams and now I  have some new dreams that I want to start working towards, I feel so much happier.  What can you be happy about, grateful for, and proud of now?  Recognizing your barriers and working to get rid of the negative thoughts and feelings that are holding you back are an important piece in the creation puzzle.  Be conscious of your "story" and change it if you need to!  Sometimes all you need is to change your thinking or your perspective, and you're back on track!

Now, what else do you want to accomplish? 

The only way to get what you really want, is to know what you really want.

And the only way to know what you really want, is to know yourself.
And the only way to know yourself, is to be yourself.
And the only way to be yourself, is to listen to your heart!
I do,
    The Universe

Set Clear, Precise Goals!

Sometimes we have so many things on our list of goals it's overwhelming and then we do nothing.  Although I think we're always in motion, taking steps towards something (even if it's more of the same thing), it's important to be consciously aware of what we really want.  I don't mean, I want a hot fudge sundae right now want.  I mean, I really really so bad want something!  If you really want to achieve your goals, choose your goals carefully.  Sometimes we think we want something, but we really don't because we're not willing to sacrifice what it takes to get it!  How many people really want a fantastic beach body?  How many people are willing to put in the work to get one?  When you're not really in it to win it, you are left feeling dissatisfied, frustrated, a failure.  Ask yourself, what is really important to me?  What do I really really want?  Maybe you start with one goal in each of the seven categories as Jack Canfield suggests:

1. Financial Goals
2. Career/Business Goals
3. Free Time/Family Time
4. Health/Appearance Goals
5. Relationship Goals
6. Personal Growth
7. Making a Difference

This model gives you a balanced set of goals in all the different areas of your life.  If this feels too lofty right now, consider making a list of goals in all these areas and then choosing just one goal, the one that is the most important to you right this minute, to accomplish.  Be specific in writing this goal.  Think about what it will look like and how it will feel when you accomplish this goal.  How it will postively affect your life and others' lives?  Put everything you have into this goal!  Let nothing hold you back.  Stay focused and trust that you will find a way to make it happen.  When you do this, the Universe (GOD) acts in response to your commitment and things start to flow into your life that help you accomplish this goal.  Make a plan and stick to it as much as humanly possible.  Ask your friends and family for support.  Do it like you've never done anything before!  Kick fear to the curb!  Let it be your motivation to prove to yourself that you can do it!  It won't all be easy, but it will be worth it.  Any struggles you have, any resistance you have to the process will teach you something that you need to know!  Trust yourself.  You are divinely guided.  You are loved.  You have purpose.  You CAN  do it!  Know this and I know you will be able to do it!




Make it About Others

This way of thinking is particularly helpful when things get tough, and at some point, it will get tough and you may start to question your reasoning and commitment to the process.  But instead of scrapping the whole thing ask yourself, how does my achieving this goal help others?  When I was training for my half marathon I felt like I was doing something great for myself.  I had some awesome "me" time, I was doing something to improve my health, I was doing something to improve my appearance.  But things got tough.  I was tired since I was still up a few times most nights, the runs were getting longer and it got harder to find the time to fit in the training, I developed some foot pain, etc.  To keep me going I thought, I have to do this to set an example for my daughters.  They need to see me pushing through my struggles.  They need to know that when the going gets tough, you just have to keep moving forward!  I wanted them to see me making time for myself and taking good care of myself.  Not to mention when I'm running/working out regularly I have more energy, I'm happier, and I feel more excited about life in general!  I am more patient, kind, and loving.  I am truly a better person when I'm taking care of my health and fitness.  So keep in mind, this is about you, but it's not ONLY about you!  You have the opportunity to positively impact other people's lives in every moment.  When you are achieving your goals and dreams, you are fulfilling your purpose and your purpose is always linked to serving and helping others.  Always.  Isn't that a beautiful thing?

So gear up for a fantastic year!  The year of "YOU",  the best you ever!  I will be right here with you working, growing, learning, and striving to continuously improve!  Share your goals with me here today and let's get started!  I look forward to hearing your success stories!

Love to You!
Kristie