Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

12 Days til 40 ~ Living the Healthy Life!

So the countdown is on!  I have 12 more days in my 30's!  What the????  How in the world did it go so fast?  I used to think 40 was old.  Hell, I used to think 30 was old, 24 was old!  So now, am I old?  I don't feel like it!!  In fact, I feel like I'm just getting started!  Yesterday I shared my post from last year, 39 Things I've Learned in 39 Years and How They Help Me Live My Best Life Now on my facebook page and re-reading it has made me reflect on the past year, and how my life has changed since becoming a mom.  

I've been reminiscing about everything that I've done and been through; the past 7 years and my journey through pregnancies and being a mom, my journey as a teacher, consultant, blogger, stay at home mom, work from home mom, life coach, and fitness coach, my experiences as a wife, a friend, a daughter, and moving from one side of the country to another, and of course, my health and fitness journey through the years. There are so many things that I've learned and I'm excited to share with you!

My goal over the next two weeks is to post 
something every day about what I've learned in the past, what I'm doing and learning each day, and what life really is like when you're stepping into your authentic self and creating the kind of life you dream of!  My hope is to inspire you to continue to take your own steps and make your dreams come true!! 






So today I wanted to start with what life was like about a year ago.  We were enjoying our summer and I was preparing myself and Allison for kindergarten.  I was kind of nervous but pretty sure we were going to have a great year AND I was beginning to do more things for myself, outside of being a mom.

When I became I mom, I dedicated myself to the role.  I absolutely ADORE babies and children and ALWAYS knew that when I got to be a mom, it would be one of the most perfect, beautiful, and wonderful things that I would ever do.  And it has been!  I have been blessed beyond measure with two healthy, loving, creative, smart, funny, awesome little girls!  I LOVE being a mom, just like I knew I would.  I appreciate that I've been able to stay home with them and be there for them just like I always wanted.  That being said, I could also feel this deep calling that it was time to make a shift and do something for me!  

I was at my parent's one day and noticed an ad on the back of the "Star" magazine that comes in the Sunday paper.  It said, "BE our Cover Model!  Seeking San Antonio women with a passion for living a healthy, balanced life!"  I was like, that's me!  The contest was for a new local magazine called Healthy Life Body*Mind*Spirit.  





I had never entered a contest like this before and I was kind of surprised how bad I wanted it!  Me??  A cover model?  Where did this come from?  I was excited to represent myself as a "fit mom" and thought about how I wanted to inspire other women, especially those that are constantly caring for others, to take care of themselves too.  I brought the Star home and got right to work on my essay.  It flowed easily and I felt good about it. They also wanted a picture of you showing your healthy lifestyle.  I sent them this one:





A few weeks later I received an email saying I was chosen as one of the finalists!  WOOHOO!!!!  I was so excited!  I had to go downtown for a test shoot for final selection.  Oh...my...gosh!  It was one of the coolest things I've ever done!  I hadn't had a photo shoot since my wedding and it was so much fun getting all prettied up and taking pics.  It was so much fun doing something for me and it inspired me to dream bigger.  

I didn't hear anything for a while and then found out in September that they were going to change the format a little.  Instead of it being a magazine, it was going to be a section in the newspaper.  Time went by and I got busy.  Kindergarten was a lot busier than I anticipated and we needed some adjustment time.  I never forgot about the contest but I figured if it was meant to be, it would happen.  In November, (maybe early December?) I got a call from the San Antonio Express News...I was chosen to be the January Cover Model!!!  AHHHHH!!!!  I was so excited!    This meant I did NOT overindulge over the holidays and I stayed on track with my exercise!  Yay me!  ;)

It was an AMAZING experience!  I felt like a princess!  Everyone was so kind and made me feel so comfortable!  I was introduced as "Kristie, our cover model" and I could NOT stop smiling!  I have never had anyone pick out a wardrobe for me and it was interesting to see what they picked!  I had ladies helping me with my make-up and jewelry.  It was so much fun!  I felt so honored and so happy!  For just a few hours, I felt a million miles away from juggling meals, dishes, laundry, and homework.  From having sticky hands squeeze my legs and boogers being wiped on my shirt.  It was an awesome contrast and because I had some special time to make things happen for myself, when I came home, I appreciated the boogers and tears and chocolate kisses that much more!  It's all about the balance, right?!  

Here is the cover:  



This is what the section with the article looked like:

Not very good quality!  I need to take a better pic!


Here are some more pics from that day:







Remember when I did that 30 Day Video Challenge?  
This is the video where I talk about my Cover Model experience!  



Talk to you tomorrow!  

Love to You!
~Kristie


3 comments:

  1. I cant believe what you have accomplished in 1 yr...and I agree mama..you, my dear are JUST getting started!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see more of your post! Especially your shopping list && and inform me on the healthy food to eat.
    healthy lifestyle & lifestyle design

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristie! I'm Heather and I have a quick question about your blog! If you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com that would be great!

    ReplyDelete